You call for it - all things not handled in other parts of the forum

Moderator: cy387_lk

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Internet Explorer 7 is out!

Postby cy387_lk » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:17 am

Have just installed this nonsense... Here are my first impressions:

Negative:

1. During installation it validates Windows license using famous Windows Genuine Validation Tool - it really made me laugh and angry at the same time. The tool has been already up for a while and so the cracks have been. I really see no point in this endless pathetic confrontation... On the other hand they practically made it priced software. Too hard to believe they think it will make people buy licenses, the only result I see is a dramatic increase of cracks use in next months until official Vista release where IE7 goes integrated (Netscape should have won that case against MS about making people to use a specific browser that happened several years ago).

2. While it's a final release it has plenty of bugs. For ex. the first thing I saw after Windows restart were changed icons. In some folders it has broken icon links with all file extensions and even other folders replacing it with IE7 icon (no extra icons, no theme software, it was clean WinXP installed a day ago with the default iconset) - yeah, I dreamed all my life about that!

3. As most of latest MS software it has no file menu bar by default, you can return it manually of course, but it takes some time to find the option. In general it looks very similar to Opera browser but much more commercialized and with fewer options. Which is bad, because Opera already exists as it is for quite a while and MS is the biggest software corporation in the World, and they had 6 years to invent something as good as mozilla or opera at least (well... nobody is expecting anything better than this anyway).

4. The default graphical theme is of 1 buck cost, as a designer I'm shocked. All these years, all this budget, and they give us some freaking pre-alpha theme (even MSN Messenger looks much better)! It looks like they'd been given an order to release it while it was in a beta phase or something... I simply have no words...

5. It has completely the same pop-up blocker as IE6 with latest updates. Well, as far as I see it's too manual and thus doesn't work, a user can't add a site to the blocklist any time it enters a page, that's stupid.

6. Every time you open a new tab (which is always in the tab list and you can't completely kill it) it goes to MS page telling you that this is called "tab" and explains how it works (until you say that you don't want to hear that any more). - No comments...

Positive:

All positive traits come from comparison between IE7 and IE6 only.

1. It's much faster to launch itself and to render web pages.

2. It has tabs!!!

3. It's supposed to be able to render xhtml and other modern markup languages standards (I'll check that).

4. It's supposed to display correctly CSS2 and 8bit alpha, finally, one headache less (will check it too).

5. MS says they've updated JavaScript API - that's nice to hear (and of course this too).

6. It already has many popular search engines bars integrated, and you can select between them to show on the top.

7. You can add/remove almost any toolbar.

8. It has a nice phishing track system which detects false pages and reports them to MS. It's also a nice hole in your own security. I always liked the rule: fewer ports Windows uses - safer you will be. They are the first holes to explore always.

Resume:

It's unfinished and it's uglier than IE6. With all that budget MS has they could not make it even equal to modern browsers. In other words it still occupies the place of the worst (and the most popular) browser ever. Nether the less these news are good: web designers can now normally use transparency, CSS, pass to new markup formats, and write scripts without breaking their heads how to make an HTML page or a script to work the same in "IE" and "All-Other-Browsers". So I'd considered this without a doubt important event as a new step in WWW development.

P.S. Especially "tab browsing"! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ROTFL

P.S.2 People, use Opera or Mozilla (not Firefox)!
http://www.opera.com
http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:13 pm

(Netscape should have won that case against MS about making people to use a specific browser that happened several years ago).

Actually, I think Netscape did win that case. But MS kept shoving IE in regardless, and no one has cared enough to do anything about it.

Ah well, I wouldn't have bothered with IE7 anyway.

P.S.2 People, use Opera or Mozilla (not Firefox)!

What's wrong with Firefox? I've used it for a few years now, and I like it (especially after using IE for several years...). Am I missing something?

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:42 am

Firefox and Thunderbird somehow lost the right to use the "name" owned by Mozilla.
Still they are good.

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:05 am

Remember that we are living in the era of spam, mailbombers, malicious and tracking scripts on each page, and so on (hehe, some people still remember the times when Internet was peaceful and quite, and the worst thing you could have was a nice nuker from an IRC friend or a small resident virus corrupting your HDD).

First of all, Firefox is #2 after IE in world wide use. Thus many underground websites that used scripts and popups for IE do consider this browser as well now.

Firefox is a cut version of Mozilla. Not so cut as Netscape but enough to make it pretty popular among common user. Although it's a GRE based browser its rendering mechanism and related DTDs are different from Mozilla's and it has serious bugs with Flash applications. I'm not the first person on Mozilla Forums so I'm not quite sure, but the most realistic scheme is that Firefox initially was very similar to it's predecessor but then after significant popularity gain was forced to be "more like" IE, generally in page reading. It comes from the fact that Mozilla as well as Opera reads CSS directly, while IE and Firefox assume many attributes with their own default values, so they could render well webpages designed primarily for IE. And the last always prevailed in the Internet.

So..., yes, Firefox is still better that IE, because of its functions for ex., but right now it's almost as vulnerable as this MS miracle. Also it's more ideological question. The source of the problem are bad or lazy web coders not "too strict browsers", so we are to choose between nice bull**** and crappy truth (not so crappy as in text browsers, just a little bit :mrgreen:). Sounds dull but that’s exactly what I wanted to say…

And finally, personally, I'd recommended Opera. GRE based browsers are too heavy and slow, and Opera is the fastest graphical browser available for Windows, it has all the stuff all normal browsers do and even more... But that's for users to decide...

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:43 am

I use Firefox and have used Opera, but Opera does very strange things to text. Like showing it backwards and upside-down!
Grimly

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:39 am

IC your point, yes, always using a common thing gives you also all the common bad. And with being used by many ppl Firefox has already some nice scripted sites.

So for security reasons, even a less known browser than Opera would be good ;).

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:36 am

but Opera does very strange things to text. Like showing it backwards and upside-down!

It did that before v8.0 final. Now it's v9.02, I see no problems so far (since v8 ) with page rendering. And again: "bad coders, not strict browsers"... :wink:

Return to “General Stuff”