spam

You call for it - all things not handled in other parts of the forum

Moderator: cy387_lk

domingo
Fighter pilot

spam

Postby domingo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Is it me alone or more people are offended by spamming bots ?

Is there anything that can be done ?

I see there is obfuscated code at registration ...

I don't remember whether there must be a reply to registration mail or not before enabling account, if not - maybe it would be good to enable/implement it.

Also I'd propose to automatically regularly sweep user database to disable inactive accounts (any disabled account won't be allowed to write to board until it makes re-registration) ...

etc ...

(sorry for rudeness, I am quite upset, because from some time ago I have an impression there is more spam on this board than regular, useful posts ...)

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi domingo,

it needs now a bit more effort to spam here than before. Still some work left over, luckily for me this forum is not so well known. Also the open memberlist allows to get a better ranking with the link to some websites, so i need to patch the code a bit.

Anyhow, nice to see you are still being here!

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:51 am

Hehe, yeah, it's kind of lonely and creepy here lately xD...

I've been notified of several new fake users as well.

Sukayo, does this forum have image validation number in the registration form, or you've shut it down? If not I've got one of my own in php, quite difficult to detect. The procedure is simple: you generate the image with a code, and the code hash is saved in session from where you get it later when all the data is validated.

If the problem is not in the validation image, we could enhance security with some other stuff I suppose using forum database for ex. or any other thingy.

Maybe it's would be better to turn on manual confirmation. It's not like this forum has thousands of new members every day anyway, and these bots are easy to detect just by looking at generated names.

Do you know how bots passed the registration btw?
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:03 am

Yes, a image is generated, and the pw is send via mail. So the image needs to be recognized by the boot and the mail adress needs to be valid.
For the forum code are existing patches to increase the security, i will sometimes add the patch which allows only registerd and logged in users to see the memberlist.
I checked other forums, it looks like a lot of them have today troubles with spam.

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:42 am

Spam attacks continue. Have just deleted "salma hayek" topic with classical troyan download link on a wmp video like page... =S
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...

("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Return to “General Stuff”