Hyperion Spartan Galaxy - Comments

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Hyperion Spartan Galaxy - Comments

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Fri May 28, 2004 8:03 pm

I'm going to be adding a separate Subject for each galaxy included in the Hyperion Mod for comments on that specific galaxy.

This will help me organize and work on changes to a specific galaxy as well as add additional awareness to players that there are several different galaxies available for play in Hyperion games.

Don't forget that there is a readme file for each galaxy to provide a little background to players before they begin playing.

If you have any comments on the Spartan Galaxy, post them in this thread and I'll take a look at them and see about making changes to that galaxy.

Matt
Matt

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Re: Hyperion Spartan Galaxy - Comments

Postby lordmoore » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:02 pm

Hello!
Me and the boys had been playing on this galaxy and we really enjoyed it...The larger research costs really make a difference on this galaxy...we ended up having to use the ministries to deal with some of the rebel ships. The only problem is the symbiots where everywhere! The ground forces aren't that bad if you get them before they get out of control (large numbers) but the space fleet is somewhat of a problem. One of my sons managed to loss the whole space fleet defending Stigmata(he probably mismanaged the battle but the whole Imperial fleet again 11 units and 4 of them where cargo)!
Now that the symbiots can build more space units...shouldn't we tone down their power? Heck, the starbase was destroyed very quickly.
What do you think?
Enemies strengthen you.
Allies weaken.
I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:50 am

Lordmoore:

The Spartan Galaxy is certainly a fun one to play!

As far as the Symbiots, I am currently assessing their rate of production to determine if I should impose their real build times to their units (as opposed to 1 turn).

In my current Corinthian single-player game, I am almost to a point where I'm going to start fighting the Symbiots with my space forces. What is very critical is that you have a Starbase to at least serve as a damage shield when attacking them. That is going to be my strategy anyway, we'll see how it goes.

My space forces are going to be comprised of simply Space Raiders, Space Frigates, Light Space Carriers, Space Fighters, and Space Torpedo Bombers, and 1 Starbase.

If I am able to beat them back with these forces, I am probably going to leave their build times at 1 turn. If they seem to be spreading too quickly and I am unsuccessful with beating them back, I may impose their real build times:

Symbiot Spitter: 2
Symbiot Nester: 2
Symbiot Tank / Arcer: 3
Symbiot Grappler / Spore Ship: 3
Symbiot Blow Ship / Pod Ship: 4

All others 1 turn.

This should slow them down sufficiently, especially their space forces. Don't forget that since they only have 1% Loyalty, they are easy to route.

At any rate, I should know in the next couple of days whether they are unstoppable or not.

Matt
Matt

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:54 am

<My space forces are going to be comprised of simply Space Raiders, Space Frigates, Light Space Carriers, Space Fighters, and Space Torpedo Bombers, and 1 Starbase>

Ok...maybe I'm not as good as I thought. We where 14 turns into the game and I still wasn't able to build any space units...and I had the most tech in the game. The symbiots destroyed the Imperial fleet that was moved above Stigmata (shouldn't the Fleet have a small outpost on Stigmata...to repair damaged forces?). I scouted the galaxy with the Eye and located Symbiot ships above at least 3 planets (one I believe was release by the dumb rebels attacking a ruin maybe). Anyways, I only had my Cruiser and the ministy forces (which both of my sons mismanaged...did I mention this already?) and there was a group of 7 ships above Stigmata that we didn't have the combined strength to engage.
3 Cruisers, 2 Frigate (lost mine) Eye ship (can't remember which one), 3 Space bombers (not sure which ones).
Are you getting tech faster than me or are you further in the game then I was?
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:06 am

Lordmoore:

In the Corinthian galaxy, I was able to start building ships around the year 4990. I could have started to build them earlier, but I thought one of the computer players would research Ceramsteel and trade it to me, while I went for Advanced Bacteriology.

Anyway, I finally had to go research Ceramsteel myself and so that is why it took me so long. You can probably get Monopols and Ceramsteel (tech needed for Space Fighters, Space Torpedo Bombers, and Starbases) in 15 years tops and then Cyclotron is just next (Space Raider, Space Frigate, Space Freighter, Light Space Carrier) so it is possible to get jump-capable space ships probably by 4976 or so.

At any rate, you need more than just a handful of ships - you need full stacks of 20! Go hide your Cruisers, Frigates, etc. until you get enough forces to make a full stack of 20 ships to attack them.

Early in the game, you need to run and hide from the Symbiots (and potentially Church if you need to attack them for the Churches) and wait until you can fight them on your terms.

I haven't played the Spartan galaxy in a long time, and so maybe the starting Ministry forces are pretty lame - let me know if you have any suggestions for improving their forces.

Also, don't forget that Cruisers take a while to research enough technologies to build them - be very, very careful with them! It is really important that you don't lose big capital ships, because of the time investment to build them and the wait to research the technologies to even build them. The same holds true for the amphibious units - they are very powerful units, but you have to be certain that you are careful with them and don't get them destroyed because of the time investment. Once you are able to upgrade them to the 2nd level (this holds true for both space ships and amphibious units), they become a very formidable force.

Of course, not getting them destroyed is easier said than done sometimes. :)

Matt
Matt

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:19 am

Hmmmmm...very interesting grasshopper.
Ok...I'll have to take a look at the galaxy without the boys so I can get a better idea of whats going on. I'll try to run several turns this week and get back with you.
BTW...I like the idea of re-installing the symbiot build times. If I can't get a Cruiser in one turn, why should they :D
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:56 am

Hmmmmm...very interesting grasshopper.
Ok...I'll have to take a look at the galaxy without the boys so I can get a better idea of whats going on. I'll try to run several turns this week and get back with you.
Sounds great!

BTW...I like the idea of re-installing the symbiot build times. If I can't get a Cruiser in one turn, why should they
Me too, the only reason why I haven't done it yet is because I am assessing them to see if they are too prolific. I think that since they can now build all their units, that I don't need to help them out so much by letting them build all their units in 1 turn.

The only thing that would prevent me from doing it is if they become too easy, but I don't think that will happen.

So let me go bash some Symbiots and see if there are way too many of them...

Matt
Matt

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:10 am

Ok...still haven't had a chance to play without the boys...but here's my observation from the last game. The Stigmata garrison actually starts the game with a bulk hauler and cybermorph assault landers! Maybe these can be removed in favor of a phasing Starbase and a space fighter (or two).
Also, my son was playing by himself and found a hive on Stigmata. It had one ground unit and the rest where space units(almost full stack-some had cargo). When he tries to attack the combat screen comes up...but doesn't show anything in on the symbiots (the ground unit was destroyed previously). :confused: Its weird...I'll have to send you a copy of the saved game.

<small>[ 14.06.2004, 02:43: Message edited by: lordmoore ]</small>
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:12 am

Ok...still haven't had a chance to play without the boys...but here's my observation from the last game. The Stigmata garrison actually starts the game with a bulk hauler and cybermorph assault landers! Maybe these can be removed in favor of a phasing Starbase and a space fighter (or two).
All the Ministry forces have been tweaked, especially the Imperial Guards forces. They no longer have vastly superior forces making it easy for the Regent to declare Emperor and then use the Imperial Guard forces to remove the other players from Byzantium II.

So checkout these changes.

Also, my son was playing by himself and found a hive on Stigmata. It had one ground unit and the rest where space units(almost full stack-some had cargo). When he tries to attack the combat screen comes up...but doesn't show anything in on the symbiots (the ground unit was destroyed previously). Its weird...I'll have to send you a copy of the saved game.
This is a known bug - any Space or Jump movement type unit that has units loaded aboard it is immune to ground combat (the Symbiot AI uses this cheat a lot).

Matt
Matt

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:55 am

I've just updated the Spartan galaxy based on comments from a recent PBEM game.

There were quite a few flaws with the map with respect to unprotected space ships (mostly due to unit swappings and the galaxy not being updated).

I think I have discovered most of the unprotected (or underprotected) stacks of space ships on Pyrite, Leagueheim, and Holy Terra. Some of the stacks on Leagueheim and Holy Terra were adjusted with respect to the fact that they were originally Hover Cruisers and Destroyers and due to UNIT.DAT changes became Jump Hover Cruisers and Destroyers. I altered theses stacks such that a Hover Cruiser became a Hover Battleship or a Hover Destroyer became a Hover Frigate, to balance at the forces and better refine the stacks.

I also upgraded the technology level of some defenders on both Leagueheim and Holy Terra. I also modified the Pyrite defenders slightly to improve their chances of protecting the planet.

Nonetheless there are quite a few areas of this map that need to be looked at and I'll be looking forward to comments and improving the map the best I can.

Matt
Matt

Tiberius
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Tiberius » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:35 am

Matt,

It looks like we're going to take another stab at the Spartan Galaxy. Before we do though I'm going through the map to look for further design flaws.

I note the following which appear to be flaws:

1. On the planet Gange there are two Cataclysms and two Galactic Rifts in the Sheild city. They have some protection but I've looked at similar planets and they don't have these units.

2. The planet Orapindura has two Cataclysms and two Galactic Rifts sitting unprotected just south west of the ocean filled with Energy markers

3. The planet Toral has five Hawk Wings and Three Universe class bulk haulers surrounded by rebel units. These may take off on the first turn so it may be intended but I note no other planets with these units available.

4. The planet Gideon has two cataclysms and two galactic rifts sitting unprotected on an ocean hex approximately five hexes north of the farm and Arborium surrounded by massive amounts of exotica markers

5. The planet Keldara has a shuttle and a gas giant in the starport next to the sheild city. This doesn't seem overly outrageous but I note very few if any other planets with ships on them. These may take off on turn one so I just thought I'd point it out just in case you didn't intend for them to be on the planet.

6. The planet Naegus has one Cataclysm and one Galactic Rift sitting in the Well thats surrounded by masses of Energy markers. The ships are well protected but just the same. I thought I'd mention them. Also the starport three hexes north east of the four city cluster has a universe class bulk hauler in it.

7. The planet Hephaestus has two Cataclysms and two Galactic Rifts sitting in an ocean hex just off the shores of the circular island land complex. There is one Cataclysm and one Galactic rift in the mine city surrounded by massive amounts of trace and quite a few units. These two appear fairly well protected but I note them just the same.

That's all I could find for now. I'll take a fresh look tomorrow but I thought you might like to make a few quick corrections before we begin so that there isn't another debacle like last time.

Thanks and hope this helps

Tib

Igor
Space Legionnaire

Postby Igor » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:28 am

Strange comment. If you play in this galaxy some more time you will see that this ships always fly away at first turn, or this ships have very good protection - see giant rebel fleets at planets orbit. If you have idea how capture this ships, may be you post message about it. ;)

Tiberius
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Tiberius » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:40 pm

Belsauron,

If you recall Matt mentioned in our other thread that the Cataclysms and Galactic Rifts on the map were a result of upgrading the Hyperion Mod to Gamma level. These units were hover units prior to the upgrade. A slight change to the mod made them jump ships. That means that every one of those ships on the map is supposed to be a hover unit.

Also if you look at how they are spread out across the gal map it's obvious that there are more of these ships available to the Decados, Al-Malik and Hawkwoods while the Li-Hilan and Hazat would have a very slim chance of getting any except for the ones on Gange which quite obviously are totally outnumbered by the amounts of them in the southern half of the map.

It's also obvious from our last game that these ships do not always jump into orbit as you suggest. It seems to me that I'm helping and that your comment is the one thats rather strange.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:48 pm

Whoops - didn't see this post until today.

Great comments Tiberius, and you are correct - they are meant to be Hover units, not Jump Hover.

I will correct and post an update soon.

Thanks for the comments by the way!

Matt
Matt

Igor
Space Legionnaire

Postby Igor » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:57 am

Hey! Sirs! If you are going to transform jump hover units into hover units, there can be you then will tell a way of capture of planets on which they creep! If for you are not necessary jump hover unit then remove them in general - I do not present, how it is possible to win on a planet huge armada overland super-units? Or they remain jump hover units, or they should be removed in general as in their ground variant and to win almost impossible - or probably the price colossal losses! But in this case expenses for capture of a planet will be many times more than probable benefit!

Return to “Hyperion”