Moderator: Sukayo

Shocker
Noble

New Shock Roman Game

Postby Shocker » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:24 pm

Players, here is a clarificaton for this game:

I would like to propose the following:

1) We use the Nova House rules with the following modifications
a) You can sell planet maps to the Persians [Vau] (you will need to early on)
b) you can change your loyalty % but you cannot exceed 80% (you need to lower you troop's loyalty in the beginning in most cases to create a positive cash flow in the first 10 turns)
c) You can attack the Imperial Guard (They represent the crumbling Roman Empire and you can atack them when ever and however much you like. Some players may choose to side with teh Roman Empire, the Church, or the League and therefore attack you if you attack them)

2) We have 8 points for traits,
Shocker will only get 6 since he knows the game
(this is 6 points not 6 traits, see the Nova page for an explanation)

3) Game settings
Plague = on
Universal Warehouse = off
Combat Report = on
Tutorial = off

4) Key Messages
a) Engineers cost 200 metal and 200 food, plan your economies to create a lot of extra metal and food.
b) Nova House rules for unloading any transported unit is extremely important. It is on the honor system that you unload all transported troops at the end of your turn. The game will not allow you to attack Bulk Hauler on the ground carrying troops for example. Units in space are OK.
c) Tanks are much more effective in this patch than in Nova. Build them and they will serve you well.
d) Air power is a must have but not all powerful like in Nova. If you count on air power exclusively, you will lose.
e) The units attack and defense work the same has Hyperion. Direct only attacks Tread and Close only attacks Foot. Indirect attacks both.
f) Space Indirect cannot attack Space units. That means a Death Star's 500 points of Indirect Space is useless against Fighters (but it does have 300 in Direct that does work nicely). This means that Mauraders can land on your planet without PTS weapons firing at them. This is a big deal so gaurd against it.

Let's have some fun,
- Shocker.
Long Live EFS!

Shocker
Noble

Re: New Shock Roman Game

Postby Shocker » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:31 pm

We have

Gaul (Li Halan): Shocker (Avg)
Hispania (Hazat): Cinderlout (Avg)
Africa (Decados): Werewolf (Easiest)
Noricum (Hawkwood): Tiberius (Hard)
Dalmatia (Al Malik): Map (Hard)

I will confirm in email.
I'll start the turn and send it to Cinderlout.

Best wishes, to Ruslan.
Thanks for playing.
Long Live EFS!

TomMcV
Fighter pilot

Postby TomMcV » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:48 pm

Nice one everyone.

--------------------------------------------

Lord Hadrian of Greater Hispania has risen to lead his noble house. He is known as both a great warleader, and a wise ruler of men...

Warrior Ethic (+3)
Internal Security Apparatus (+0)
Administration (+1)
Noble Scholars (+4)

He warns (getting a strange, unexplicable, sense of deja-vu) that the symbiots are growing in strength, and that if the Empire is to be intact for the next Emperor, it is the duty of the houses to not squabble, but unite, and drive back the alien barbarians. He has also given the garrison commanders of the Imperial Guard a word of security, and would be most displeased if even the most basic Imperial Laws were broken in this time of danger and strife.

---------------------------------------------

Werwolf should have the turn by now.

werwolf
Assault Legionnaire

Postby werwolf » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:57 pm

Ciderlout - I've just got an email from You but it comes WITHOUT SAVE FILE!!! You need to send it to me again.

Werwolf

Tiberius
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Tiberius » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:48 pm

I'm having trouble accessing my e-mail account from here. (Hawaii) so I haven't been able to download the patch yet. I'll see what I can do about getting through. If worse comes to worse I'll have access from home this upcoming Sunday so feel free to pass the turn.

map101ca
Space Legionnaire

Postby map101ca » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:11 pm

Tiberius, I need your e-mail address, in order to send notices.

Other note: watch what you open from werwolf, I just recieved a virus attachment from him. I hope your com is ok wolf.

TomMcV
Fighter pilot

Postby TomMcV » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:28 pm

Alright - Ive just got a few questions before we begin the game:

Should nobles be used to lead attacks?
How long does it take to complete a solo game (turns wise) I dont know if I am shit and slow or just average. (Or brilliant - unlikely).

Do not construe this message as a sign of Hispanian weakness - or do...

werwolf
Assault Legionnaire

Postby werwolf » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:55 am

Well, after long & boring scanning all files on the comp by 3 diferent anti vir softs ( they found nothing ), finally Lord Boniface of Great House Africa begins his reign.

Traits:

- Noble Scholars +4
- Enlightened Nobility +1
- Warrior Ethic +3
- Administration +1
- Internal Security Apparatus +0
- Enemy In Church -1

The file was sent to Tiberius at Noricum a while ago.... hope he'll get it without any virs...

map101ca
Space Legionnaire

Postby map101ca » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:15 am

It wasn't named after the game, it was subject: notifaction, file: instructions.

It's probably one of those things, that send under somones name, but is actully from elsewhere. Just thought I'd give a warning to everyone.

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:21 am

In answer to the Noble question,

I typically do not use Nobles at all. I would rather risk leaders since you only get a limited # of nobles. Some players use them alot. It is a matter of your tolerance for risk and your situation in the game.

A solo game can take you well past 5075.
I usually thry to conquer everything instead of going for the win, but you will easily pass 125 years. Average is probably something like 200.

I have played solo games as long as 400 years and as fast as 95 in hte original galaxy.

- Shocker.
Long Live EFS!

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:28 am

Well, it looks like we are waiting until Sunday to get Hawkwood in the game.

- Shocker.
Long Live EFS!

Maur13
Assasin

Postby Maur13 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:25 pm

Well, i never use nobles myself, if there is any chance they could be killed. But, at least in NOVA, there is a lot of situations you can freely add a large stack of nobles to minimize your other losses (like, killing rebel stacks in the beginning)

werwolf
Assault Legionnaire

Postby werwolf » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:33 pm

As to Nobles I also rather don't use them for leading stacks on the frontline ... it makes sense for me only in Reality mod where by getting right tech. you can produce them in Palaces as much as wish to

Longness of the solo game depends on tactics - if you only want to quickly win to look at victory screen ( nothing special ), I think It can be done under 100 turns (in original EFS ) if want to explore, conquer and install strong infrastructures on all planets, it can last until You're getting bored with moving countless of Your units with no sign of any real opposition and opportunity to fight, or till the game crashes....

I have a question about one House Rule:

"32. You may not change the sect of any Church. This feature is badly bugged. We just have to accept that sects play no useful role in the game"

since I read some about this bug in: http://www.kborek.cz/forum/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000170

and it seem that this restriction is only becouse as Sukayo wrote there:

the "bug" is only in being able to switch the religion sect multiple times in one turn - so exploiting that is not allowed by the NOVA house traits" (...)
With that you can easily make every invading forces rebelling, because this changes can be endless in one turn. Or you can increase morale of your house units (...)
switching the sect to another one makes the units on the planet drop or raise their morale by 5 points, it depends if the religion of the planet is the target religion of the unit or not...

and looks that it don't affect the play in other way ? , so wonder if maybe we would be allowed to change the sect ( only one time in the game when we take control on planets church building ) to make the play more colorful with the some zooroastrian, aryan or orthodox units instead of only catholic or even maybe we'll have a pagan Patriarch one day ;) ?

Awaiting Your comments on that..

Werwolf

Tiberius
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Tiberius » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:18 pm

Looks like I'm buggered until Sunday as Shocker mentioned. I'll try to get the turn out as quick as I can when I get home.

I look forward to the game.

Tib

map101ca
Space Legionnaire

Postby map101ca » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:16 pm

wow this house dalmatia, is really hard (its ok). I'm at turn 70 and just captured 1 extra planet in solo game.It took appx. 40-50 turns of actully invading planet to finally capture it.

I can't wait to see how this game is going to go as pbem. I think I'm going to change some of my tactics,cause this is way too slow to get extra planets, and I'll end up falling way behind.

The bomb was quite a suprise though, nice touch Shocker...lol

Return to “Opponents wanted”