Kings and Queens

Settings, background, books - all the things around which are not only the PC game.

Moderator: Russell

Test
Fighter pilot

Kings and Queens

Postby Test » Mon Jul 09, 2001 9:19 am

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how the Feudal structure of FS is supposed to work??<P>You have an Emperor. He has under him the Fiefdoms of the different Houses. He dies.<P>The seat is open.<P>The titles of the Houses are Lord/Lady Baron/Baroness...what gives here? What's the difference?<P>And what happens if a House lord declares himself King? Cannot an Empire include Kingdoms?<P>What's the difference between a King and an Emperor anyway?
Oh!

Maur13
Assasin

Re: Kings and Queens

Postby Maur13 » Mon Jul 09, 2001 10:20 am

It's feudal structure<BR>Vassal of my vassal is not my vassal<BR>So titles really matters, also as a sign of importance and 'nobility'<BR>Emperor is highest lord<BR>if you declare yourself a king,and you put yourself outside empire (by not acknowledging Emperor superiority), some sort of independence declaration, and if empire is strong enough...<BR>Empire can include kingdoms, king is below Emperor in feudal structure,<BR>And btw, Kings are not declared, they are crowned by church...

Rich Trup
Fighter pilot

Postby Rich Trup » Mon Jul 09, 2001 3:58 pm

A King is King of a nation, while an Emperor (at least in the West) was supreme ruler of many nations. Thus Napoleon at the height of his power called himself Emperor, making no pretense that all that territory was France.<P>There were basically 3 ways to gain a Kingship:<P>1. Be the recognised heir and succeed to the throne. This conferred the greatest legitimacy.<P>2. Be "elected" King. In cases where the legitaimate succession was unclear, it was sometimes the case that the nobilty reached a consensus on who should succeed (this sometimes involved a good deal of bloodshed).<P>3. By conquest. While not the preferred method, at least no one could dispute it.<P>In EFS I'd guess you'd have to assume that the Houses are all branches of the royal family, and thus all potential heirs to the throne. Since there is no universally recognised heir, we have to play the game to see whether method 2 or 3 will prevail ;)

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Tue Jul 10, 2001 5:13 am

As for the emperor, once an emperor is crowned, his/her heir will continue the lineage, instead of having an emperor war each and everytime ;)<P>Alexius' heir will be after him, if he has one.

Test
Fighter pilot

Postby Test » Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:20 am

The different Houses are of Royal blood? Meaning they are all family of some sort?<P>So what's the difference between Baron Okel and Lord Okel? just as an example...<P>So there are no Prince Okels in FS?<P>What would happen to a FS world if Lord Okel of the Hazat declared his worlds a kingdom instead of a fiefdom?<P>Would not he still be part of the royal family and can be Emperor?<P>Why would the Empire care if he declared himself king...if Empires include kingdoms?
Oh!

Haakon_Stormbrow
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Haakon_Stormbrow » Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:02 pm

I have the fs roleplaying book, and have read through most of it to get a feel for the "universe". I remember that they had spelled out the ranks such as baron and duke and such. While there was no universal rule, lower nobility would control a company or city while more powerful ones might control provinces, continents, or even planets. I don't remeber reading about princes, and i don't think the noble is called king, but it amounts to the same thing.<BR>So if your grandfather was the head of a house, your dad might run a planet and you might own a city; depending on the size of the house, of course. Your uncles and cousins and so on would be in charge of other planets, cities, companies, etc.<BR>This is where the income for the family would come from. I would make money from my company, some of which would go into the family coffers.<BR>And i suppose all the nobles of the house would not have to be related, a rebel nobel could join your house, or a worthy knight could be elevated? <BR>In efs i just captured a rebel noble and he became my 6th nobel (i left him "in charge" of the planet)<BR>In efs:reality i replaced officers with knights which would be lower members of the family, or non-related members. To represent the income from their lands i made them with a negative upkeep. Thus knights support the noble house. I also increased the upkeep for nobles as i allowed them to be built (takes 18 years)<BR>As far as kingdoms: i always looked at it like the houses were kingdoms. Each king (or noble) was vying to be emperor. I guess it is semantics really.<BR>The houses are not related to each other. In the history (if i remember correctly) the houses started as groups of colonists, or companies colonizing space; something like that. Gradually over time and after the demise of the first republic they turned fuedal. they survived, and actually helped bring the demise of the second republic. Then the church league and houses decided on the way things should be.
Creator of the EFS:Reality mod

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:40 am

You must be born into nobility, you cannot work your way up. There are great subjects who are "knighted" and could perhaps be considered lower nobility, but they could never pass that rank. Each house is named after their family name, that's why all of the Hawkwood nobles, are Hawkwoods ;)<P>Everyone must swear allegience to the emperor, even the guilds. Anyone who doesn't, is considered an enemy to the known worlds. Barbarian worlds and such.

Maur13
Assasin

Postby Maur13 » Wed Jul 11, 2001 11:45 am

IIRC, Hazats doesn't have such noble family history :D

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Wed Jul 11, 2001 4:33 pm

From what I understood, they did. They were advisors to the rulers of Aragon, until they overthrew them. But they were still a family ;)<P>I think to be a noble family you must be all related, with enough power to be considered nobles. Decados had to inbreed to become one big family (lol), and others were at it from the start (Hawkwood). Either way, the Hazats proved themselves, and the only noble family that's blood is questioned, is Decados ;)

Maur13
Assasin

Postby Maur13 » Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:08 pm

One of the Royal Houses, namely Chauki.<BR>They were sort of military advisors (commanders?), but they managed to turn Chauki army against them, airlocking last Chauki (not really, since someone on rediscovered world named Ivor claimed to be Chauki.<BR>Anyway, Hazat gone a long way to secure their Nobliness (uh, that's the word?), but they weren't noble family short time ago.<BR>They are honorable, but in somewhat different way than Hawkwoods. (namely, they don't take well someone questioning their honor ;))<BR>They are kind of Homo Novus, methinks <BR> :cool:

Haakon_Stormbrow
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Haakon_Stormbrow » Sat Jul 28, 2001 5:49 am

I was reading through some of the FS rulebook for background. I came across the section on philosopher stones:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Philosophers stones are worth any price. Rumors exist of crafty peasants lucky enough to uncover one in some forsaken alien ruin who have attained peerage (noble status) by gifting it to a lord with the power to grant such boons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>IT would seem that nobility can be earned. At least in FS!
Creator of the EFS:Reality mod

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:01 pm

Earnable maybe, but going through an alien ruines in some remote area and digging around sounds very high risk and there's a good chance the people seeking to do that would end up dead - thus limiting the ability for 'ordinary' people to become nobles.<P>I take it that there are probably other avenues people could take to get the boon of nobility, though I assume they'd be equally high risk or otherwise outside the abilities of 'ordinary' people.<P>Still very interesting...<BR>- Deathifier

Cmdr_Adeon
Fighter pilot

Postby Cmdr_Adeon » Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:33 am

In Feudal systems in real life it was possible to become a peer, but you had to perform a really great deed. A method that happened sometimes was that a general would conquer a large chunk of land and be elevated to Lord and granted a portion of the new territories as his fief. Of course in order to become a general in the first place he would probably have to be either a knight, or a young son of a noble house, so a peasent becoming a noble would be pretty unlikely.
"There are some who call me........Tim" - Tim the Enchanter
"I think I'm funny, but I'm not" - me
"May you live in interesting time" - Anchient Chinese Curse

Return to “Fading Suns”