Any trouble with Windows 10

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Shocker
Noble

Any trouble with Windows 10

Postby Shocker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:33 am

I am curious if anyone had an issue with game access when upgrading to Windows 10. This game always required a hack for new versions of Windows. I also use the map editor and wanted to make sure it still works.
Long Live EFS!

Sukayo
Noble

Re: Any trouble with Windows 10

Postby Sukayo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:40 am

did not try to get it running at all. But the same adds to skip the videos from playing at the start could work.

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:24 pm

I loaded EFS on Windows 10 today using the same guidance as WIN 7 (below).
It worked fine.
---------------------------------------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\HDI\Emperor of the Fading Suns\1.0]
"CDROM"="E:\\"
"Directory"="C:\\Games\\EFS\\EFS Tools\\EFSinstall"
"DirectXInstalled"=dword:00000000

-----------------------------------
Keep in mind you have to have the EFS program already extracted to a folder on your computer.
The setup program off of the original CDRom will most likely NOT WORK under X64.
Plus the patches are 16 bit programs. They do not work under X64!
Klaus has a link to a patched version of the game somewhere in the forum if you need it.

Anyways:

Copy and paste above the dashes, save to a file named EFS_Reg_x64.reg. It must be a registry data file format.

Modify the above mentioned file to reflect the correct location of your CDRom and Install directory for EFS.

The wing installer will not work for me. Here is the manual fix: copy wing32.dll into c:\windows\syswow64. Now it works!

Copying it to c:\windows\system32 will work for 32bit windows, but not for 64.

You may need to use RegEdit.exe in the windows directory to enter this information.

If so, open RegEdit.exe

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node
Add New Key for HDI
Add New Key for Emperor of the Fading Suns
Add New Key for 1.0
Under 1.0 key, leave the defaults and
Add String Value and name it CDROM
Right click on the new string and change the data value to E:\\
(In your case this may be D or some other value. Do not forget the double backslash. Single does not work. Just find the CDROM drive letter under Windows File Explorer > This PC.)
Add String Value and name it Directory
Right click on the new string and change the data value to C:\\Games\\EFS\\EFSTools\\EFSinstall
(In your case, this should be the path to the correct directory for a full copy of EFS. I make MODs so I have multiple copies of EFS. I keep a vanilla copy with patch 1.4 already installed in this directory. again, do not forget the double backslash.)
Last, Add a DWord value and name it DirectXInstalled
(Leave the default value of zero for the data field.)

If you already installed the Wing32.dll, reboot your system.

After your booted up, go to the EFS directory and launch the EXE. It is best to make a short cut and be sure to run as administrator.

If your having problems, first double check the details of what you entered in RegEdit.exe, it must be accurate to the letter.
A) If you have the EFS disk,
- Put the CD in your CD reader. Just close the windows pop-up or run setup and let the directx installation fail. It doesn't matter. I have an external CD reader and I have to toggle to windows, let the reader get recognized and spin up, then toggle back to the game.

B) If you do not have the CD, you may have to toggle to windows and back to the game or hit esc a few times until you get an error message that says something like "No data disk", then just hit Ok and your into the game.
Long Live EFS!

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:29 pm

and if you get a black screen at startup, this little tidbit helps too. I run this way in my default build.

It's attempting to run the opening video -- which probably bonks out on modern computers. In the DAT folder, there's an EFS.INI file and if you set "video_on=0", it skips the video loading attempt.

Thx for this reminder beetlecat
Long Live EFS!

Return to “Fixing it ourself”