Generating planet terrain

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Bfriudo
Fighter pilot

Generating planet terrain

Postby Bfriudo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Hey all, wonder if anyone still lurks around here! I was toying with the editor once again and realized I can't generate a charred or megacity planet from scratch. Every new planet starts with the base "plains" palette and trying to generate random terrains only cycles among plains, jungle and frozen. Editing planet type on the starmap is just cosmetics as it doesn't change the available palettes once returning to planet editing. Now it's been long since my editor heydays and I can't even remember if I had a workaround for this, neither I was able to find a solution yet. Any help would be really appreciated! Cheers and wish you faraway efs guys well!

Kosh2
Noble

Re: Generating planet terrain

Postby Kosh2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi!
I can't remember anything about editor, I played with it some years ago (2005-2010 or so that) and I forgot everything ! Sorry!

Nice to see some fourm member lurking here! I was 5 years without writing here and returned one year ago with the news of Noble Armada PC game and FS 4th edition RPG books
Last edited by Kosh2 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:21 am

I've never tried generating random maps from scratch (I just draw them myself when needed), so I'm afraid I have no advice to offer either. I took a quick look at the editor and the files, but didn't see any obvious solutions to the problem.

Bfriudo
Fighter pilot

Postby Bfriudo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:15 pm

I managed to find the solution, it's just not too obvious at first sight. Once editing the planet surface you just click File->New and you get to choose among Normal, City, Ice, Jungle or Barren. The planet will be auto-generated and will need editing but you can grab Megacity and Barren whereas generating random from the planet surface won't let you. I also love to draw planets myself but having created a galaxy from scratch I was unable to draw those two and it was really testing my patience.
I am also very pleased to see there are people checking out the forum from time to time and posting back! I still find this editor a nice time killer. Now back to double-checking those damn techs and the tree itself...

Kosh2
Noble

Postby Kosh2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm pleased to see you managed to generate the desired terrain.

Bfriudo
Fighter pilot

Postby Bfriudo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks mate. Just a drop in the ocean though, the interaction between tech branches is what is driving me mad now. The game doesn't seem to like the many, many cross-requirements needed to advance down the branches as opposed to the more traditional, quasi-independent branches + applied tech branch (which I removed in favor of a 4th branch). I devoted most of the time to this effort and I'd like to see it working. "Ah, modding." (8ball Cit.) :roll:

Return to “Fixing it ourself”